Alison Seabeck on Water Fluoridation and Mandatory Medication
A while ago, our local MP - Alison Seabeck made a rather 'throwaway' comment in the local newspaper. It was in an article with the headline "Plymouth has created 6,500 more NHS dental places since the start of 2012". http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Plymouth-created-6-500-NHS-dental-places-start/story-17123196-detail/story.html#axzz2MCxjcuH4
In this news article she was quoted as saying the following; "Ms Seabeck also believed ion balance fluoridation of water was a "good thing" .
I found this slightly alarming, given the complexity of the subject and the potential dangers of adding fluoride to water. After all, she is a local MP. Is she qualified, well read or experienced in any areas of chemistry or biology? Where did she get the idea from that fluoridation of water was a 'good thing'?
With this in mind I began some investigation of my own and found that there is a mass of information online and in libraries relating to the apparent dangers of human consumption of fluoride. There is a large amount of evidence that shows that adding Fluoride to drinking water supplies is dangerous. The simple reason behind this is that Fluoride is poisonous to humans!
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
I would like to put some of this information out into the community, and also, challenge Alison Seabeck to confirm, validate and evidence her rather risky stance on the subject.
Below are some quick facts regarding water fluoridation:
- If we were to fluoridate drinking water supplies we are allowing governments to do to 'medicate' entire countries and communities. It is forcing people to take a medicine irrespective of their consent. Where is the choice? What about an individuals right not to be medicated? This is Mass Mandatory Medication!
- Once fluoride is put in the water it is impossible to control the dose each individual receives because people drink different amounts of water. Also, take into consideration bathing. It's not just about ingesting it; our skin can absorb chemicals too.
- The fluoride goes to everyone regardless of age, health or vulnerability. According to Dr. Arvid Carlsson, the 2000 Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Physiology and one of the scientists who helped keep fluoridation out of Sweden:
"Water fluoridation goes against leading principles of pharmacotherapy, which is progressing from a stereotyped medication — of the type 1 tablet 3 times a day — to a much more individualized therapy as regards both dosage and selection of drugs. The addition of drugs to the drinking water means exactly the opposite of an individualized therapy" (Carlsson 1978).
- Fluoride is not an essential nutrient. No disease, not even tooth decay, is caused by a fluoride deficiency. (NRC 1993; Institute of Medicine 1997, NRC 2006). Not a single biological process has been shown to require fluoride. On the contrary there is extensive evidence that fluoride can interfere with many important biological processes. Fluoride interferes with numerous enzymes (Waldbott 1978). In combination with aluminum, fluoride interferes with G-proteins (Bigay 1985, 1987). Such interactions give aluminum-fluoride complexes the potential to interfere with signals from growth factors, hormones and neurotransmitters (Strunecka & Patocka 1999; Li 2003).
- The level in mothers' breast milk is very low. Considering that fluoride is not an essential nutrient it is perhaps not surprising that the level of fluoride in mother's breast milk is remarkably low (0.004 ppm, NRC, 2006). This means that bottle-fed babies consuming fluoridated water (0.6 – 1.2 ppm) can get up to 300 times more fluoride than a breast-fed baby.
- There has never been a single randomised clinical trial to demonstrate fluoridation's effectiveness or safety. Despite the fact that fluoride has been added to some countries water supplies for over 60 years, "there have been no randomized trials of water fluoridation" (Cheng 2007). Randomized studies are the standard method for determining the safety and effectiveness of any purportedly beneficial medical treatment.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, 1999, 2001) has now acknowledged that the mechanism of fluoride's benefits are mainly topical, not systemic. There is no need whatsoever, therefore, to swallow fluoride to protect teeth. Since the purported benefit of fluoride is topical, and the risks are systemic, it makes more sense to deliver the fluoride directly to the tooth in the form of toothpaste. Since swallowing fluoride is unnecessary, and potentially dangerous, there is no justification for forcing people to ingest fluoride through their water supply.
- Fluoride may lower IQ. There have now been 33 studies from China, Iran, India and Mexico that have reported an association between fluoride exposure and reduced IQ. One of these studies (Lin 1991) indicates that even just moderate levels of fluoride exposure (e.g., 0.9 ppm in the water) can exacerbate the neurological defects of iodine deficiency. None of these studies indicate an adequate margin of safety to protect all children drinking artificially fluoridated water from this affect. According to the National Research Council (2006), "the consistency of the results in fluoride/IQ studies appears significant enough to warrant additional research on the effects of fluoride on intelligence." The NRC's conclusion has recently been amplified by a team of Harvard scientists whose fluoride/IQ meta-review concludes that fluoride's impact on the developing brain should be a "high research priority." (Choi et al., 2012). Except for one small IQ study from New Zealand (Spittle 1998) no fluoridating country has yet investigated the matter!
- It is mandatory that Toothpastes are labeled to show that they contain fluoride and warn users to DO NOT SWALLOW or DO NOT EAT. Why? Because fluoride is toxic and potentially very harmful if consumed. It's fine to scrub over your teeth and spit out as a topical solution, but should not be consumed.
- The chemicals currently used to fluoridate water are not pharmaceutical grade. Instead, they largely come from the wet scrubbing systems of the phosphate fertilizer industry. These chemicals (90% of which are sodium fluorosilicate and fluorosilicic acid), are classified hazardous wastes contaminated with various impurities. Recent testing by the National Sanitation Foundation suggest that the levels of arsenic in these silicon fluorides are relatively high (up to 1.6 ppb after dilution into public water) and of potential concern (NSF 2000 and Wang 2000). Arsenic is a known human carcinogen for which there is no safe level of exposure.
- Fluoride has been shown to affect the balance of Iodine in the body, which could cause Thyroid problems. In the United States where most of the drinking water is fluoridated, an estimated 27 million Americans have thyroid disease, and about 13 million of them are undiagnosed. (J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2004)
- Children's toothpastes are low-fluoride or fluoride free, because fluoride is toxic and potentially very harmful if consumed… More so for children as more fluoride is held in the body of a child compared to adults.
- A large number of Dentists believe that while adding fluoride to water supplies could possibly reduce cavities, cavity prevention can be done just as effectively, if not MORE effectively without putting fluoride in our water. The bad it can potentially do outweighs the good.
- Too much fluoride causes dense, but weaker bones. Studies have been done that seem to equate fluoride with weakened bones, primarily the hips.
- There is also a known condition called fluorosis, which occurs when a child gets too much fluoride when teeth are developing
- Think about why most of Europe has BANNED fluoride from their drinking water supply...?
This is just a brief summary of information and evidence I have found. There is a staggering amount of information out there.
You may be relieved to know, after reading the above, that I have checked with South West Water and they do not add fluoride to the water supply. They have confirmed the following;
"South West Water does not and has never added fluoride to its tap water. All our water supplies have a naturally occurring level of fluoride which is below 100 micrograms per litre or 0.10 milligrams per litre. South West Water has no plans to add fluoride to its tap water.
It is the responsibility of each region's Strategic Health Authority (SHA) to identify areas where fluoridation may be beneficial on public health grounds. Section 58 of the Water Act 2003 states that water companies have a duty to fluoridate when asked to by a SHA. In 2004, draft regulations were published setting out how SHAs should consult local people on the decision to fluoridate water supplies. The Regulations require SHAs to publish any proposals to fluoridate in the local media and consult on the decision for three months. Only if the response to the proposals was predominantly in favour of fluoridation, would an SHA ask a water company to fluoridate drinking water."