Blaze starts in Plymouth as flat roof is worked on
A BLAZE broke out at a house as builders worked on its roof, firefighters said.
Workmen were using blowtorch-style tools as they finished work on a flat roof in St Judes shortly before 3.30pm yesterday.
But the LPG flame caught dry timbers and a fire broke out, quickly spreading to a first-floor bedroom.
A fire crew from Greenbank was sent to the scene, in Beaumont Road, led by watch manager Graham Wilson.
They used a ladder to reach the roof and used a hose reel jet and small tools to put out the flames.
Watch manager Wilson said slight damage was caused to part of the roof and the first-floor bedroom.
"It did damage the flat roof the builders were working on," he said.
"We had to do a lot of cutting away up there to make sure the fire wasn't going to spread.
"We also found there were no working smoke detectors in the property so we installed those.
"This sort of incident shows how important it is to have working smoke detectors."