Dog saves Plymouth mother and son from house fire
A MOTHER and son who were saved from a house fire by their pet boxer are "very lucky people", the fire service has said.
Firefighters were called to a bungalow in Staddiscombe Road, Plymstock, at around 12.10am on Monday.
The occupants of the property, a mother and son, were woken by the family boxer dog, the fire service said.
The pet attempted to wake the young man several times and when he was alerted to the fire by the dog he then woke his mother and they were able to make their way outside.
Six cats died in the fire, the fire service said.
Three fire crews from Plymstock and Greenbank tackled the "severe" blaze at the semi detached bungalow, which is believed to have started in the tumble dryer.
A firefighter from Plymstock, who was at the scene, said: "The bungalow was really severely damaged. It was a very hot fire, an intensity we don't see that often.
"The occupants are two very lucky people - they may not have made it out without the help of the dog."
There were no working smoke alarms within the property and the local fire service is now making an appeal to people to make sure they have fire alarms fitted, and that the batteries are tested regularly.
A spokesperson for the service said: "We would like to remind people of the importance of having working smoke alarms to give an early indication of fire.
"It's amazing that some people still don't have them fitted, this incident only goes to highlight the importance."
The mother and son were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.