Firefighters prevent liquid-gas explosion as caravan destroyed by blaze in South Brent
FIRE crews had to hose down a liquefied-gas cylinder to stop it exploding when a caravan was engulfed in flames.
Two fire engines from Buckfastleigh and Ivybridge were called to Higher Badworthy, in South Brent, at 2.17pm yesterday, following a report that a wooden caravan was alight.
The caravan's occupant, who has not been named, was not injured but had to be looked after by the Red Cross Fire Emergency Support Service, which attended the emergency.
It took firecrews two hours to tackle the blaze, which was in a caravan in a field 200 metres from the road.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The caravan was completely destroyed by the flames, but firefighters were able to cool down a cylinder containing liquefied petroleum gas.
The Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service believe the blaze to have been caused accidentally.