Firefighters stop blaze spreading to home of Sir Francis Drake's wife
A 15TH century cottage thought to be the childhood home of Sir Francis Drake's wife escaped damage when an adjacent building suffered a chimney fire.
Emergency crews were called to Culvert Road in Saltash at about 6pm yesterday where they extinguished a chimney fire in a house which shares a flume with the Tudor cottage.
The occupied house suffered smoke damage but there were no reports of any injuries and crews were able to extinguish the blaze within an hour.
There was a strong smell of smoke inside the old cottage, which is thought to have once been the home of Mary Newman, Sir Francis Drake's wife, but no damage was caused.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Sarah Page, chairman of the Tamar Protection Society, which maintains the cottage, said: "There is no damage to the cottage whatsoever.
"We would like to thank the fire brigade who were very quick and very thorough."