Forces' abuse of Iraqis was 'systemic'
NEARLY 200 Iraqi civilians are fighting a High Court battle for a fully independent public inquiry into allegations that British troops committed "terrifying acts of brutality" following the invasion of Iraq.
Two judges were told yesterday that women, the elderly and children were among the victims as soldiers went in search of individuals to detain and interrogate.
A judge-led inquiry is being sought into accusations that British interrogators were guilty of unlawful killings as well as torture in British-controlled detention facilities between 2003 and 2009.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond is investigating the claims of human rights violations through the Iraq Historic Allegations Team (IHAT).
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
But Public Interest Lawyers (PIL), representing 192 Iraqis, argues the abuse was "systemic" and wants the High Court to rule that the IHAT set-up is fatally flawed because its members include officers of the Royal Navy Police (RNP).
This is the second legal challenge against IHAT. Last year the Court of Appeal ruled that it lacked "the requisite independence" because it included investigators from the Royal Military Police, and they were replaced with RNP members.
MoD lawyers say the claim that the RNP presence threatens IHAT's independence is "inconsistent" with the appeal court decision.
They also say setting up a wide-ranging public inquiry now would be "inefficient, premature and disproportionate", arguing that such an inquiry could be set up at a later date if evidence of systemic abuses emerges.
As well as the 192 Iraqi civilians represented at London's High Court, there are more than 800 others also making allegations of human rights violations.
Out of court, a Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "We have now settled 227 (compensation) claims to a total value of £15.1 million." Since last December, a further 22 claims had been settled for just over £1.1 million.
Speaking outside the Royal Courts of Justice, Phil Shiner, from PIL, said there are "hundreds and hundreds" of Iraqis with "tens of thousands" of allegations of mistreatment.
The hearing continues today.