'Lucky escape' for four as car ignites in Plymouth car park
A MAN and three young boys had a "lucky escape" after the car they were travelling in burst into flames while they were food shopping, the fire service has said.
Firemen from Plympton were called to The Co-Operative, on Glen Road in Chaddlewood, at around 8.20 on Wednesday evening following reports of a car on fire.
Watch Manager Pete Tobin, who was in charge of the incident, said the middle-aged man was driving three young boys home from football training in Honicknowle when he stopped off at the shop to get some food.
He said: "The man and the boys went into the shop when another man came in and told them their car was on fire in the car park.
"They had a lucky escape – had the fire occurred when they were driving it could have been a different matter altogether."
The engine compartment of the black Toyota Rav was said to be well alight when the fire crew arrived at the scene.
Watch Manager Tobin said the man told him the car had been running fine but that he had noticed a "funny smell".
The fire is believed to have started due to an electrical or fuel fault, he said.
No one was injured in the fire and recovery was organised to remove the vehicle.