Man found unconscious and badly wounded in smoke-filled flat
Firefighters found a man unconscious and badly wounded in a smoke-logged flat after a neighbour called to report the sound of a fire alarm this morning.
Fire crews were sent to Kings Market, Fore Street, Kingsbridge just after 6.30am today.
A fire appliance from Kingsbridge was mobilised following a call from a neighbour in the flat above reporting a smoke detector sounding for hours, but no sign of fire.
There was also music playing, and the neighbour said it was believed the occupant was at home.
BRAND NEW FORD B-MAX ZETEC 1.0 ECOBOOST FOR ONLY £7685*View details
DRIVE AWAY A BRAND NEW FORD B-MAX ZETEC FOR ONLY £7685.
1.0 100PS Manual
Electric Windows & Mirrors
Quickclear Heated Windscreen
15" Alloy Wheels
Bluetooth with Ford Sync
*Drive away from only £7685 and then pay nothing for 24 months!
Contact: 01626 240583
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
On arrival the crew had difficulty gaining entry via the front door and gained entry via a window using a ladder.
Once in crews confirmed the occupant, a mane in his 40s, was unconcious on the floor and food that had been left unattended on the cooker had been on fire, but was subsequently out on arrival, leaving the flat heavily smoke logged and the occupant suffering from smoke inhalation.
He was also bleeding heavily from a wound.
The crew issued first aid on the man until the arrival of the ambulance, and made the cooker safe, also ventilating the property.
Duty of care was left with the police.