Plymouth man suffers serious arm burns in kitchen accident
A MAN was taken to hospital with serious burns following a cooking accident last night, firefighters said.
A crew from Greenbank was sent to Walker Terrace, on the Hoe, at around 8.45pm.
They said a man in his early 20s had been heating oil in a pan and left it unattended.
When he returned to the pan it was smoking and he picked it up without using a teatowel or other protective device.
Pre book your Fathers Day Lunch and Receive a Complimentary Beer for "dad". 2 Courses for £13.50 or 3 Courses for £16. A Choice of our Fantastic Roast Dinners and a Choice of Starter and Desserts.
Terms: Only 2 people per voucher. 12pm-3pm.
Contact: 01752 254879
Valid until: Monday, June 10 2013
The man suffered bad burns to his hand and arm and was taken to Derriford Hospital by ambulance, one firefighter said.
Crews helped make the scene safe and said they would be returning to the address to offer safety advice.
A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman added: "It is vitally important that people have smoke alarms fitted in their premises to alert them to fires such as this small kitchen fire.
"Anybody facing a similar situation with a hot pan should attempt to smother the pan with a teatowel without picking it up and ring 999."