Police in 999 call to Plymouth primary school in row over Facebook
POLICE officers were called to a city primary school following reports of a mother acting aggressively towards the headteacher in a row sparked by comments made on Facebook.
Officers from Devon and Cornwall Police were called to Pomphlett Primary School, in Plymstock, at around 9am last Thursday after receiving a 999 call from a member of staff.
A spokesperson for the local force said the caller had concerns about a female parent, in her late 30s, who was described as being abusive and aggressive towards the headteacher.
And The Herald understands that one of the school's governors, who has been in the position for nearly three years, has since resigned.
The governor, who wished to remain anonymous, said they were "not happy" about what was happening at the school regarding an ongoing matter with a parent, which had prompted the incident on Thursday.
The governor said that the crux of the issue was in relation to a parent who was allegedly making threats towards a teacher at the school on a social networking site. "The parent was then reported for what they were saying and I resigned because the management at the school dealing with the issue left a lot to be desired. The fact that the police were called on Thursday morning, in my opinion, was a total over-reaction."
Des Walsh, headteacher at the school, said the incident on Thursday morning was really nothing more than "a squabble between parents about Facebook."
He said: "There has been an issue which has been blown up by a group of parents and one of those parents got very emotional and refused to leave when asked on Thursday morning. It really wasn't a massive problem and the parent did eventually leave of their own accord, and has also since apologised to me. It was really a squabble between parents about Facebook, a really silly issue to do with people falling out."
He said the school had had an issue with one parent allegedly making various threats towards a member of staff on Facebook. "I have contacted a number of senior officers across the city, including those in the police force, and as a result of their advice have issued a letter to the parent in question who now has certain limits on their movements around the school grounds.
"The parent has made a complaint to the school which is now going through the Governors. No members of staff have anything to worry about and no one has been suspended. As far as I'm concerned we've dealt with the issue on Thursday and have moved on."
Mr Walsh said he could not comment on the nature of the Facebook comments. He also denied rumours that the school's Valentine's Disco, due to take place on Friday night , had been cancelled due to Thursday's incident.
He said: "The disco was simply cancelled because there weren't enough senior staff members available to be at the event."