Raiders duo stall on new contracts
CONTRACT talks with DeAntoine Beasley and Drew Lasker remain
ongoing, say Plymouth Raiders.
The BBL club had given the out of contract Americans a
deadline of last weekend to accept or reject new one-year
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
However, that timeframe has now moved forward to next week
at the earliest.
Raiders set the deadline because of the red tape involved
signing non-European Union players in the BBL, which allows
three such imports per team.
American centre Terrence Durham, conversely, quickly signed
a new one-year contract with Raiders last month.
Raiders coach Gary Stronach was back in his city office
yesterday following a two-week break in the US.
He revealed fans could expect 'new faces' in his squad next
Stronach also confirmed forward Beasley, 29, had rejected
the chance to become director of basketball operations at the
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga next season – but had
not signed a new contract with Raiders.
Stronach said: “I was talking to DeAntoine constantly while
I was in the States, but I've got a number of irons in the
fire, with new players as well as last year's.
“It's exciting, because I'm the only one who knows what's
“I will report to the board in the next couple of days, but
next year's team is a work in progress and a jigsaw which will
be done bit by bit and won't be complete until mid-August.”
Stronach, who led Raiders to third spot in the BBL and the
semi-finals of the play-offs last season, added: “There will be
new faces next year. At the end of the day we're looking to
strengthen the team.
“This is professional sport and if changes are made, they're
made in the team's best interests.
“Yes, we are trying to keep the nucleus of last year's team
together, but we're trying to strengthen as well.
“We're testing the water with players who may be way out of
our price range – but we want the best possible team next
The new BBL season tips-off on September 26.
Talks remain ongoing with guard Lasker, 25, and six other
players from last season's roster – Anthony Martin, Gaylon
Moore, Allister Gall, Gavin Love, Brody Bishop and Jeff Danchie
– who have all been offered new one-year deals.
Durham and forward James Noel are the two players from last
season's squad to sign new contracts.
Raiders revealed earlier this off-season that Beasley,
Lasker and forward Moore, 29 – their top three scorers in
2007/08 – have all attracted interest from teams in Europe.
Moore's profile can be found on agency Sports Management
Worldwide's website, alongside guards Trey Moore and James
Life, who starred for Cheshire Jets and Worcester Wolves
respectively in the BBL last season.
Some profiles are clearly marked 'signed'. Moore's is
Stronach said: “Obviously every player has got a right to
negotiate with other clubs and look around, but I can guarantee
fans we're going to have an exciting team next year and be
challenging for silverware.
“Like I said, we've got a lot of irons in the fire and
hopefully we'll be ready to make some announcements next
“There is a lot going on behind the scenes, but not a lot to
“We're constantly in talks with agents and players, both
from last year and new guys.
“There are a lot in the melting pot.”