Record number are now in work
THE number of people in work has reached a record high, although more are in part-time jobs than ever, official figures reveal.
Employment grew in the quarter to August by 212,000 to 29.59 million, the highest since records began in 1971.
Unemployment fell by 50,000 in the same period to 2.53 million, the lowest since the spring, giving a jobless rate of 7.9 per cent.
The numbers claiming jobseeker's allowance fell by 4,000 in September to 1.57 million, the third consecutive monthly fall and the lowest total since July 2011.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
FOUR children who disappeared following a High Court care dispute should be reunited with their father soon, after being found safe and well, a judge heard yesterday.
Jessica, Tomas, Eva and David Palacin Jones, who are aged between 14 and eight, were discovered in Blackwood, Gwent, Mr Justice Roderic Wood was told at a High Court hearing in London.
Their Spanish father, Tomas Palacin Cambra, 52, was making arrangements to travel from his home in Majorca to collect the youngsters, lawyers said.
BARRY GEORGE, who spent eight years in prison after being wrongly convicted of the murder of former Spotlight TV presenter Jill Dando has launched a test case bid to overturn a "defective" decision denying him compensation.
Mr George, 52, who was cleared after a retrial in 2008, is seeking a High Court ruling that could open the way for him to claim an award of up to £500,000.
His case is one of five test cases assembled for senior judges to decide who is now entitled to payments in "miscarriage of justice" cases following a landmark decision by the Supreme Court in May 2011.
"LESSONS have been learned" after a Taliban raid on Camp Bastion last month which left two US Marines dead and six planes destroyed, the British deputy commander of the Nato mission in Afghanistan has said.
During the attack last month, 15 heavily-armed insurgents breached the perimeter defences of the base, which the Taliban claimed was targeted because Prince Harry is serving there as an Apache attack helicopter gunner.
The prince, who is there for a four-month tour of duty, was at the Helmand Province military hub at the time of the attack, and was moved to a guarded location as the fighting unfolded.