Relief as plan for 24 homes next to woods is scrapped
A CONTROVERSIAL planning application which left many residents outraged has been withdrawn.
The plans, submitted to Plymouth City Council by Senate Properties (SW) Ltd, proposed to build 24 homes in the field off Springfield Close, next to Dunstone Woods.
A spokesperson for the council confirmed that it had been withdrawn on October 3.
Councillor Vivien Pengelly, for the Plymstock Dunstone ward, said: "We are absolutely delighted that the planning application has been withdrawn. But at the same time we are aware that an application could come back again at a later stage in a different form.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
"We have to be alert and keep an eye on all submitted planning applications. Although myself and the residents are very happy we are definitely still cautious."
Residents living in and around Springfield Close voiced strong concerns about unwanted homes, increased traffic and parking, the effect on wildlife and Dunstone Woods, as well as the availability of school places.
Plans for a very similar development on the same plot of land were submitted by Hallmark Estates South West Ltd, back in February, but then withdrawn in the face of strong local opposition.
The local authority received more than 160 letters objecting to the most recent proposed housing development in Plymstock, and two public meetings were held by former council leader Cllr Pengelly with local residents to discuss ways of opposing the plans.
Cllrs Pengelly and Kevin Wigens, along with Gary Streeter, MP for South West Devon, first met with local residents at the end of July, and then again last month, to discuss the proposed residential development of homes.
Christine and Roger Payne, who live in Springfield Rise, told The Herald at the end of August that they were so tired of "fighting off" developers who want to build on the field that they had applied to have it registered as a village green.
Mr Payne said he and his wife considered doing this when the last application was submitted in February but, following its withdrawal, decided not to.
But he said there had been too many attempts to build on the field and that residents were getting fed up with having to fight off developers all the time.
A spokesperson for Plymouth City Council confirmed at the end of August that the village green application had been received and would now be checked to establish whether all of the necessary documentation and evidence has been provided.
Mrs Payne said: "Generally speaking we are very relieved that the application has been withdrawn, but we are wary that another planning application might come up in the future.
"We are proceeding with the application to get the field listed as village green and it is taking its steady little course at the moment.
"We are hopeful it will be granted village green status but we are cautiously optimistic.
"We have had tremendous backing both at the public meetings and general support from local residents.
"A weight has definitely been lifted by this withdrawal, but we need to make sure another planning application can't rear its ugly head again."
The Herald contacted Senate Properties (SW) Ltd who said they could not comment at this stage.