Man dies on way to court for child sex abuse image trial
A MAN due to stand trial accused of making indecent images of children died just minutes before appearing in court.
Nicholas Stout, 57, had denied seven counts of making indecent images of children between November 2006 and June 2010 when he appeared in court in March.
His trial was set to be heard before Plymouth Crown Court on Monday.
Prosecutors, defence barristers and witnesses had awaited Mr Stout's arrival but he collapsed shortly before arriving at court, The Herald has learned.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Wednesday, May 22 2013
Paramedics from the South Western Ambulance Service had been called to a car park in Royal Parade at 9.09am after receiving reports of a man who had collapsed.
Police were contacted at 9.50am and a police spokesman said the man was dead at the scene before his body was taken to Derriford Hospital.
Officers said the man's death was not being treated as suspicious and the coroner had been informed.
Police said a car connected with the man was later traced to Drake Circus car park.
A spokesman for Plymouth Crown Court said Mr Stout's case had been adjourned.
They added the case would be formally listed for mention at a later date for the case to be officially closed.
At a previous hearing the court heard the images found by police ranged from level one to level four, level one being the least serious and level five the most serious.
At his appearance at Plymouth Magistrates Court, District judge Paul Farmer said that magistrates could deal with the case.
However, Mr Stout, of Temeraire Road, in Manadon Park, had instead elected for the matter to be heard at Plymouth Crown Court.