Shopping around for petrol could be a waste of time and money, says survey
Shopping around for cheaper petrol could be a waste of time and money, according to a price comparison website.
Gocompare reckons millions of drivers could be unwittingly wasting their time trying to find cheaper fuel.
In new research released today, based on a survey of 2,000 drivers, it found:
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
- 3.5m motorists will drive up to 10 miles out of their way to save 5p a litre
- Another 2.5m motorists will drive 20 miles or more out of their way to save 5p a litre
- However, even in a Ford Focus 1.6, driving just 9 extra miles could cancel out any potential saving.
The website says confusion around 'mile per litre' fuel consumption could be to blame with only 13% of drivers knowing their car's mile per litre fuel consumption.
Other findings in the research are:
- UK drivers spend an average of £38.81 every time they refuel
- A 5p a litre saving on the average refuel figure could amount to just £1.40 in total on an average petrol top-up, and £1.34 for diesel.
Researchers estimated the maximum distances motorists could drive before cancelling out the benefit of a 5p per litre saving on petrol or diesel when refuelling with an average top-up.
For example, at current AA average fuel prices (137.9p per litre petrol and 144.8p per litre diesel) driving a petrol engine car with an average combined fuel efficiency of around 45 miles per gallon for more than an extra 10 miles cancels out the benefit of a 5p per litre saving on an average £38.81 top-up.
None of the figures take into account the additional time it takes and the extra wear and tear on a vehicle and its tyres, said Gocompare.