Sixth member of Plymouth 'family from hell' finally named
A SIXTH member of a family who joined an attack on a couple and their teenage son can today be unmasked as Luke Richards.
Richards, aged 24, joined his two brothers and three sisters in an assault on the family in their own home.
A judge said the six siblings behaved like a "feral pack" – and their victims branded them the "family from hell".
But for legal reasons The Herald was not able to name Luke Richards when he was sentenced alongside most of his siblings earlier this month.
Judge Paul Darlow imposed an order preventing his details being published because it could prejudice his future trial for theft.
Now the Crown Prosecution Service has dropped the case and another judge has lifted the order.
Luke, Joseph, Matthew, Toni, Lianne and Bethany Richards had all admitted violent disorder in Southway back at their trial in August.
Ringleader Joseph Richards threw a brick through the front window in what a judge called a revenge attack as a neighbourhood dispute turned into violence in Alger Walk on November 17, 2010.
The six siblings then attacked the family, who were neighbours of Lianne Richards, punching and kicking the couple.
Victim Dean Mewton was left with a double fracture to the jaw and wife Kirsten suffered severe bruising to her face.
Their teenage son was also set upon during the attack.
Luke Richards, of Budshead Road, was handed a 40-week prison sentence, suspended for two years, with 200 hours unpaid work and probation's low intensity alcohol programme.
The court heard he had previous convictions including possession of a bladed article, racially-aggravated threatening behaviour and resisting a police officer.
Judge Darlow told Richards: "Your involvement was central, including kicking to Dean Mewton while he was on the ground."
Alongside most of his siblings, he was given a five-year restraining order preventing him from entering the streets around Alger Walk.