Smoke filled living room
A WOMAN who inhaled smoke was treated by paramedics following a fire in a flat.
Firefighters said a living room was filled with fumes after a cushion fell on to a heater in Keyham early on Saturday. But the occupants were alerted by a smoke detector.
Two fire crews were called to the first floor flat in Saltash Road at 1am. Firefighters found that the fire was out but the front room was filled with smoke.
Camels Head watch manager Nigel Toms said a woman was treated by paramedics for minor smoke inhalation. But she did not need to go hospital.
He added: "A cushion had fallen from a chair or settee on to a bar heater. The smoke alarm was set off. People in the flat were up and about and threw the cushion out of the window. The smoke detector went off and the people reacted, which is exactly what is meant to happen. It was a bit smokey in there but no real damage other than to the cushion."
Crews used a large fan to clear away the smoke.
A FIRE crew in Liskeard was called to a vehicle leaking petrol in a car park.
Firefighters used granules to soak up a small amount of fuel near the Co-op store in the town centre at about 11.30am on Saturday.
FIREFIGHTERS rescued a horse which was stuck in a bog.
The wild animal was freed from four feet of mud by two crews at Whitchurch near Tavistock yesterday morning.
A specialist rescue team from Camels Head joined firefighters from Tavistock to free the animal in an operation which took about two hours.
The animal, believed to have been trapped the whole of Saturday night, was left in the care of a vet.
It was thought to have mild hypothermia but was expected to make a full recovery.
AN AFTERNOON of Easter crafts is to be held at Derriford Oasis cafe.
On Thursday Renate Scheffer and Alison Brewer will be holding a session of egg painting between 2pm and 4pm at the cafe, run by Derriford United Reform Church, on Powisland Drive.
The creative afternoon will be one of experimentation with no craft or painting experience necessary for participants.
A small donation is asked towards refreshments and materials.