Then and now
ST JOHN'S BRIDGE ROAD
THE young lady's dress and the advertisements give us some clue to the date.
Certainly they support the handwritten information on the back of the photograph, which suggests that this picture was taken on August 15, 1957.
Back then this was still a bridge that had railway lines running under it – the line had opened in 1879 – but during the course of the late-fifties, early-sixties this, like many other local railway links, was closed.
Remarkably, apart from the land on the other side of the bridge, this scene has changed little.
The spire of St John Sutton-on-Plym is a constant feature as are the buildings that we see in front of it, though both have a new roof.