Ward tells Argyle: 'I couldn't turn down Bristol Rovers'
JOHN WARD has admitted he feels as though he has let down Plymouth Argyle after snubbing the chance to become their director of football.
The 61-year-old was confirmed as the new manager of Bristol Rovers this afternoon, on a contract until the end of the season.
Ward had verbally accepted an offer from Argyle but the chance to take over at Rovers - who sacked Mark McGhee on saturday - for the second time in his career proved too much of a temptation for him.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
Ward said: "The excitement was the thing that convinced me that this was the right thing to do.
"I had been three months without a job and I then had two choices, which was incredible.
"With my hand on my heart, Plymouth was a great job and a nice job but this one puts my neck on the block. Part of me thinks I'm crazy but part of me is excited about this fantastic challenge.
"I feel I have had to let Plymouth down a little bit but, to be fair, to the people of Plymouth they have been brilliant.
"They knew of my contact here and my affinity with this football club. I had to do it.
"You have some things in life where you think 'I have to do that' and this is one of those things.
"I couldn't turn Bristol Rovers down. Had it been any other football club then I would have probably said 'no' and that I had a commitment to Plymouth Argyle."