One-eyed killer admits murdering two officers
ONE-EYED Dale Cregan has dramatically altered his plea to admit the murder of two police officers.
The 29-year-old, who now faces life in jail, yesterday admitted gunning down Pcs Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone on September 18 last year.
The court was shown CCTV of the moment Cregan handed himself in to police at Hyde Police station in Greater Manchester, just minutes after murdering the two officers.
He is still on trial for the murders of father and son, David and Mark Short, which he denies.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Cregan lured the officers with a bogus police call before using a Glock handgun and a military fragmentation grenade to kill the unarmed and unsuspecting PCs in Hattersley, Greater Manchester.
Cregan had initially pleaded not guilty to murdering PC Fiona Bone, 32, and PC Nicola Hughes, 23, at the start of his trial last week at Preston Crown Court.
The dramatic change of plea came on the fourth day of the trial.
Following the lunch adjournment the jury was brought back into court and trial judge Mr Justice Holroyde told the court there was about to be a "step in proceedings".
Simon Csoka QC, defending Cregan, got to his feet to address the judge, saying: "The defendant would like to be arraigned again on counts 10 and 11."
At 2.23pm Cregan stood up and replied "guilty" when asked to enter his new plea to the charges, read by the clerk of the court.
Mr Justice Holroyde said there were remaining charges against Cregan, who is on trial with nine others, but this new development would change the timetabling for the trial.
Greater Manchester Police, said in a statement they welcomed the guilty pleas but due to the ongoing court proceedings would not comment further.
None of the families of the two officers attended today's hearing but last week sobbed in court as they listened to details of the "bloody conclusion" to Cregan's alleged string of attacks.