How some of the view has changed from the top of Devonport Column
In the second part of our views from the top of Devonport Column, Herald reporter Keith Rossiter compares the view now and before the Second World War, looking north
A VISITOR to the top of the Devonport Column before the Second World War would have seen a jumble of run-down houses and tenements gathered around St Aubyn's church.
Now the view is dominated by three tower blocks, including Lynher house, seen here.
The old homes have all gone – flattened by German bombs and modern bulldozers.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The area is now in the throes of regeneration.
Little remains of old Devonport, but St Aubyn's church is still there.
De-consecrated in 2009, the Grade II-listed church has been turned into a library and community centre as part of Devonport's £49million regeneration.
The original church, St Aubyn's Chapel, was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Exeter on September 17, 1771, 301 years ago.
The old library and museum building, in the centre of the modern scene, is another fading reminder of an earlier era.
Raglan Barracks, which stood next to St Aubyn's Church, and the Church of St John the Baptist, seen front right in the picture of old Devonport, were taken down after the war.
This week The Herald was invited to go up the tower as renovation work nears completion.
In a few months the column, in the heart of Devonport, will open to the public after an £800,000 refurbishment mostly paid for by the Heritage Lottery Fund and co-ordinated by the Real Ideas Organisation.
The 185-year-old tower was closed in 1992 on safety grounds.